Great Lakes St. Lawrence River Student Summit
Three Grade 12 students from Korah attended the Great Lakes St. Lawrence River Student Summit in October at the Enercare Centre in Toronto. Hannah Yule, Hailey Hayes and Shaylin Allison representing ADSB and Lake Superior, participated in educational lectures, experiential learning activities and delivered innovative solutions for protecting our Great Lakes to key decision makers. One highlight of the experience was when our students (pictured at left) Hannah, Hailey and Shaylin pitched their solutions for Lake Superior to key decision maker Richard Raeburn-Gibson, Director.
These student delegates were from our Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) Energy team and they delivered the solutions arrived upon during our local I.C.E. Training event. The I.C.E. Training (Innovation Creativity Entrepreneurship) involved an experiential learning component at Brookfield Power and Heliene Photovoltaic Modules Inc. as well as a series of group activities to explore their creativity and innovation.
The first morning of the summit delegates were welcomed on the edge of a river on the Albion Hills Conservation Authority property by a First Nations Elder (pictured below right).
the student summit, Hannah, Hailey and Shaylin participated in four hands on
workshops outside at Ontario Place, on the shores of Lake Ontario:
- 1. Healthy Great Lakes, Healthy Fishery
- 2. Healthy Soils in the Great Lakes Basin: It’s not just dirt!
- 3. Emergency!
Mock Spill and Containment Demonstration (pictured left)
- 4. Great Lakes Low Impact Development: Building a Rain Garden
The Great Lakes Public Forum coincided with this event at the Allstream Centre. Students were able to observe a panel discussion comprised of binational leaders including:
- Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change, Ontario
- Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Canada
- Valerie Pringle, Canadian Television Host and Journalist
- Bruce Heyman, US Ambassador to Canada
- Cameron Davis, Senior Advisor, Environmental Protection Agency